Thank you for taking the time to visit my website. This is an archived version of my blog from my time as the Conservative councillor for Mount Hermon East on Woking Borough Council.
I served as a councillor in Woking for six years, first being elected on 6th May 2010 for a four year term. I was re-elected with 58% of the vote at the local elections on 22nd May 2014.
Following a boundary review, I stood for the combined seat of Mount Hermon at the local elections on 5th May 2016, but missed out on being re-elected by 13 votes.
I also stood as the Conservative Party’s parliamentary candidate for Glasgow East at the 2005 General Election, where I came fourth with 7% of the vote.
- Woking Council local election result, 2016
- Woking Council local election result, 2014
- Woking Council local election result, 2010
- Woking Council local election result, 2008
- Woking Council local election result, 2006
- Glasgow East parliamentary constituency result, 2005
About my work on the council
On the council I served as chairman of the Licensing Committee for three years. The Licensing Committee scrutinises the council’s performance on licensing and health and safety issues including regulation of restaurants, pubs and nightclubs, taxis, off licenses and betting shops. The committee also decides applications for new premises licenses and variations to existing licenses, and enforces the conduct and rules for hackney taxis and other private hire vehicles.
One of my biggest interests as a councillor was the redevelopment of Woking town centre. I was a member of the Town Centre Oversight Panel, which is responsible for overseeing the council’s investment in the town centre, including the Victoria Square project, the redevelopment of Jubilee Square and Commercial Way, the relocation of Woking Market to Market Walk, and management of the Wolsey Place shopping centre.
My appointments during the time I was elected were as follows:
- Member of the Finance Task Group (2010-11)
- Member of the Investment Programme Working Group (2010-11)
- Member of the Licensing Committee (2010-16)
- Member of the Overview & Scrutiny Committee (2010-12; 2014-15)
- Vice-Chairman of the Equalities Working Group (2010-12)
- Vice-Chairman of the Cost of Borrowing Task Group (2011-12)
- Vice-Chairman of the Overview & Scrutiny Committee (2011-12)
- Member of the Executive (2012-13)
- Chairman of the Licensing Committee (2012-14; 2015-16)
- Member of the Town Centre Oversight Panel (2012-16)
- Chairman of the Taxi Trade Working Group (2013)
- Vice-Chairman of the Licensing Committee (2014-2015)
- Vice-Chairman of the Standards & Audit Committee (2014-15)
- Member of the Joint Committee (2015-16)